A comprehensive and detailed coverage of Vitamin C and it’s potential effects on the COVID-19 Coronavirus – backed by research
Is vitamin C going to prevent you becoming infected with the deadly Coronavirus? Is this substance a potential cure for the Coronavirus? Vitamin C (also known as ascorbic acid) has been known as one of the most potent immune system boosters in the world, but can it really help you fight this new COVID-19 virus?
In order to eliminate assumptions about vitamin C and Coronavirus, in this article we have tried to back every statement that we make with facts, research and studies by the medical and scientific community (see the [Ref] links throughout the content). This way, we don’t only assume things about this topic, but we also back the statements with evidence and research.
Now, let’s see some analysis, scientific research and evidence below, and let’s find out how you can maximise the use of Vitamin C and other supplements to protect yourself from the virus.
On this page:
- What is Coronavirus
- What is Vitamin C
- Can Vitamin C help you with Coronavirus?
- How much vitamin C should I take to fight the Coronavirus?
- Intravenous vitamin C and Coronavirus
- What are the risks of high vitamin C dosage
- Is vitamin C an actual cure for Coronavirus?
- What other supplements can I use to fight or protect myself from the Coronavirus?
- What else can I do to prevent or fight the Coronavirus?
- The bottom line
What do we know about Coronavirus and Vitamin C?
There are a few facts that we know so far about the Coronavirus and Vitamin C:
- The COVID-9 Coronavirus is an enveloped non-segmented positive-sense RNA virus belonging to the family Coronaviridae – the same family that is causing the common cold( [Ref]
- It spreads through air droplets exhaled by an infected person, or infected animal [Ref]
- It’s highly contagious – just being in a room with an infected person can get you infected [Ref]
- It can develop into pneumonia, called “Novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia” (NCIP) the fatality rate of those who get pneumonia is 4.3% [Ref]
- The severe and deadly cases were reported mostly on elderly people or people with weak immune system [Ref]
The total fatality rate in China is about 2.1% – which means, that from every 100 infected people, about 2 will die [Ref]
- Update on 05 Mar 2019: According to the WHO, the total fatality rate globally is 3.6%, far more than that of the common cold, which is below 0.5% [Ref]
- As a pathogen, it has similar characteristics as the HIV – scientists even started trials of treatment with HIV drugs [Ref]
- There is no treatment for Coronavirus [Ref], the only way you can get healed is to have a strong immune system.
- It is an extremely potent antioxidant and immune system booster [Ref]
- Humans are one of the few mammals that are unable to produce vitamin C with their bodies [Ref]
- It is a non-toxic substance, even in extreme mega-doses [Ref]
- High dosage of vitamin C proved extremely effective in the treatment of the seasonal flu (that kills about 60,000 people every year in the US alone) [Ref]
- High dosage of vitamin C was successfully used in treating even viral pneumonia [Ref]
- Vitamin C, in combination with some antibiotics, can kill cancer cells [Ref], [Ref], [Ref]
- Vitamin C reduces the growth and advancement of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) [Ref]
- Other extremely good articles about Vitamin C:
Can vitamin C help you with Coronavirus?
This is indeed a bold and sensitive question. However, there is absolutely no doubt about this! Looking at the real, scientific and well documented, endless evidence found in the studies, we can clearly say that Vitamin C is more than what meets the eye, as stated by Carole S. Ramke in one of the links above.
It is a super-substance that dramatically increases and enhances the functions of the human cell, and especially those associated with the functioning of the human immune system. It is a turbocharger for immune system, and then some.
As we have seen in the scientific research above (yes, I must emphasise “scientific research” many times just to remind the skeptics), this vitamin taken in extreme dosages (dosage is the key here, the daily recommended value will be useless, we need about 20-40 times the daily recommended dose) is capable of fighting deadly viruses such as HIV, viral pneumonia, and it can even help killing cancer cells when combined with certain antibiotics.
These are facts, backed by strong scientific evidence and research. Black on white!
What we have also learnt above, is that vitamin C is absolutely safe to take, even in mega-dosages – one of the worst side-effects that a healthy person can have is a slight laxative effect – a slight diarrhoea.
From here onwards, it is very simple to do the maths.
- Coronavirus: your only chance is to have a strong immune system.
- Vitamin C: Ultra-efficient immune system booster.
It cannot be anymore simpler than this. It’s as simple as 5 – 2 = 3.
By boosting up your immune system with vitamin C, you are reducing the risk of being infected with the coronavirus, and if you are infected, you are reducing the risk of having severe conditions from the virus.
Mega-dosing Vitamin C is a very effective way to protect yourself from the Coronavirus, and to speed-up the recovery, if infected. As a strong immune system is the only effective way to protect yourself from the virus as of today, there is no other option available than to have an extremely strong immune system. This can be achieved by taking high doses of vitamin C, as studies and research has shown.
How much vitamin C should I take to fight the Coronavirus?
The dosage of vitamin C is the key factor in your efforts to combat the Coronavirus, or to avoid being infected. This will have to be a super-dose! Forget about eating lemons, or taking your normal multi-vitamin supplement.
As opposed to the daily recommended daily intake value of just 90 milligrams per day [Ref] (yes, that’s just 0.09 grams), many studies and experts suggest that we need at least 500 milligrams per day just for our body to function normally, under no stress conditions [Ref].
However, we are fighting the novel Coronavirus here. We’ll need way more than that.
The daily dosage of vitamin C should start at 2 grams (yes, that’s 2000 milligrams, more than 20 times the daily recommended value), and increased to 3-4 grams (3000-4000 milligrams) a day within 3 days of starting the supplementation. A typical multivitamin tablet contains somewhere around 65-100 milligrams, but we’ll obviously need more than that.
The strongest vitamin C tablets that we could find as being widely available are the 1500 milligram ones (1.5 grams), and you can buy them online with a simple Google search, or from bodybuilding supplement stores.
Start the supplementation with one and a half tablet daily, for 2 days, then you can increase to 2 tablets/day, which will give your system 3000 milligrams of vitamin C, to ward off the Coronavirus.
If you want to go to the extreme, you can take 3 or 4 tablets per day, giving you up to 6 grams of vitamin C per day. As mentioned above, and as seen in the studies and medical papers referenced, vitamin C is not dangerous and not toxic even in high doses. Whatever your body can’t use, will be eliminated through urine.
Research has shown that the body can absorb around 2000-3000 milligrams (2-3 grams) per day, of vitamin C, and this absorption rate can depend on each individual, and this limit is due to the way the digestive system works.
There is a way to take in way more vitamin C in your body, way more than 2-3 grams, by bypassing your digestive system.
Intravenous vitamin C and Coronavirus
As mentioned in the paragraph above, there is a certain limit on how much vitamin C your body can absorb each day, and this limit is due to the fact that the vitamin needs to go through your digestive system, then get absorbed into your blood through your intestines.
This way, only about 2-3 grams of vitamin C can be absorbed by your body, into your bloodstream.
In order to get the best out of the vitamin C supplementation, and especially if you are in a zone of high risk of contamination with the Coronavirus, you might want to go to the extreme, and bypass your digestive system, to make sure you can get 10-20 grams of vitamin C into your system, to maximise the potentiality of this super substance.
You can get high doses of vitamin C directly into your bloodstream, by intravenous vitamin C administration. This is simply vitamin C on drips, in one of your arm’s veins.
Unfortunately this is more complicated than just buying the tablets online, and need to be done in a controlled and medical environment.
We have found that in the UK, for example, there are some health centres providing this service, but it costs up-to £225 per administration (yes, that would be £225 per day if you want to take in 25 grams a day): https://www.getadrip.co.uk/high-dose-vitamin-c
In the US, it can be even more expensive, or more difficult to get this service, as seen in this forum discussion:
https://csn.cancer.org/node/307848 (the forum discussion from cancer.org has been taken offline, but here is a cached version of the page)
Another alternative would be to find a nurse, or if you have a friend who is a nurse, and then buy the vitamin C yourself, from places such as (disclaimer: NOT affiliated with the links below):
What are the risks of high vitamin C dosage
Endless studies have shown that vitamin C is safe even in incredibly high megadoses. On the cancer.gov website, there is a study cited where they have concluded that doses as high as 1.5g/kg were safe on healthy humans [Ref].
This means, that a person who weights 75kg, is able to safely take doses of up-to 112 grams of vitamin C (yes, that’s 112,000 milligrams, in contrast with the 90 milligrams of daily recommended value) – this can only be achieved intravenously, as it’s impossible to take this in via the digestive system.
Endless studies have shown that vitamin C is absolutely non-toxic, even at extreme doses, and in the worst case scenario, you will have develop mild side effects such as diarrhoea or mild nausea [Ref].
Is vitamin C an actual cure for Coronavirus?
Vitamin C is not a direct cure for the novel coronavirus. All it does, is it boosts up your immune system to extreme levels, so that it (the immune system) can fight the coronavirus, minimise the symptoms, and speed up recovery.
Unfortunately the strong immune system is the only option that we have currently, and we have to do whatever it takes to keep it in great shape. Vitamin C seems to be one of the best substances that can do this, without having any risk or major side effect.
But are there any other substances that you can use to make sure your immune system is in good shape?
What other supplements can I use to fight or protect myself from the Coronavirus?
As our main goal is to boost the immune system, apart from vitamin C, we have some other extremely potent supplements that we can use, that will ensure that our body and immune system is ready to fight the Coronavirus.
And all is backed by scientific evidence, research, and studies. Let’s see a list of other supplements that you can use to fight the Coronavirus, most of them are also used by elite athletes around the world to keep their bodies strong and to help with recovery after intensive workouts, ordered by priority and effectiveness:
- One of the well researched and well known amino-acids that plays an important role in the body’s immune system. [Ref] [Ref]
- This is a non-essential amino-acid, or more accurately, a conditionally essential amino acid – under non-stress conditions it’s considered non-essential, which means your body can produce it by combining other amino-acids, however…
- … if the individual is exposed to stress conditions, such as viruses, bacteria, or intense physical activities, it becomes an essential amino-acid, as the body won’t be able to produce it in large quantities enough [Ref]
- L-Arginine [Ref]
- Bovine colostrum [Ref]
- Ultra-strength multi-vitamins and minerals [Ref]
- MSM [Ref]
- BCAA [Ref]
What else can I do to prevent or fight the Coronavirus?
Once you have taken the vitamin C and other supplements from above to increase your immune system and get it ready for the Coronavirus, there some other important things that you can do to keep a healthy body and a strong immune system. Let’s enumerate a few ones below:
- Sleep well, and enough
- The body recovers the most while you’re asleep – this is when your immune system can work at it’s full potential, so make sure you’ll get enough rest, between 7 and 8 hours a day [Ref] [Ref] [Ref] [Ref]
- Make sure that not only you sleep enough hours, but also, at the right time. The body produces it’s most important hormones between 10 p.m. and 01:00 a.m., so make sure that you are already asleep during this period
- Eat healthy and nutritious food
- Exercise regularly, and intensively, even it it’s just for 20 minutes a day
- Be positive, and avoid arguments and negative emotions [Ref]
The bottom line
Coronavirus can potentially be stopped and beaten with a healthy and strong immune system, just like most of other similar diseases.
This new virus seems to be more unapologetic with people who have their immune system weakened, or people that have underlying health conditions.
The best thing that we can do to fight off the coronavirus is to maximise the resources available to create a strong and responsive immune system – and one of the most potent supplements to achieve this is definitely vitamin C.